Re: Females in male costume

Allowed by whom?

At HDF, there was a group of young dancers from the Norwalk Pontian sillogo, and the whole "boys" line was girls. They were amazing dancers and did one of the best Serra I've seen for that age group (or even compared to older kids). All of the judges who saw them talked about how to approach this.

I talked to Niko Michailidis about this over the weekend (the Pontian lyra player who played for Anaheim, plus he is doing at PhD at Princeton about the role of music in identity among Pontic Greeks), and he said that as far as he was concerned, this was fine with him and it was not unusual to have girls dress like boys historically, because there were always a shortage of boys dancing.

Nikos Savvidis has said basically the same thing.

So are there other perspectives/opinions/knowledge? Kyriaco? Sandy? What do you think?
Anne Gani Sirota
Los Angeles, California

Girls should not dressed with man costume. There is no tradition on this. Only dance groups back at seventies and eighties...some even today. It 's a shame!!! Woman are woman and men are men, both can dance very nice and no need a woman to dance like a man nor a man like a woman.-

It is one thing for a woman to be able to do male dances, and another to portray it in costume, in performance, or even at a glendi. I like the idea of empowerment, but I agree with Kyriako that men should be men and women should be women. I can dance figoures from serra and even do a mean cretan talimi and dance lead in kissamitiko syrto, roumatiani sousta and pentozali like the guys (yes I'm cretan lol), but that doesn't mean I'm going to bust out in a talimi during malevizioti in my 3.5 inch heels at a dance. I believe there are figoures/dances that are gender appropriate....IMHO
Anastasia Veloudos-Laplante
Co-Founder and Instructor
Paradosi Hellenic Dance Company
http://www.paradosihdc.com
Director
St. Panteleimon, Anna & Paraskevi
Greek Orthodox Church
Markham, Ontario
Canada